DASH diet is basically a diet plan to put a break to hypertension and avoid medication. Improve insulin sensitivity and decrease cholesterol. DASH was developed in research that was backed by US National Institutes of Health.
Who can follow the DASH Diet?
Since the aim of the DASH diet is a healthy eating, it can be followed by everyone. It helps control your blood pressure, reduce cholesterol, inflammation, also protects your heart and improves insulin sensitivity.
About DASH Diet plan
DASH diet plan is all about eating lots of vegetables, fresh fruits, lean meat, whole grains, fish, beans, nuts and low fat or no fat dairy products. This diet was formulated to lower high blood pressure, reduce cholesterol and also aid weight loss. This diet recommends the use of little salt not more than 100mg salt per day.
DASH diet is high in fibre, vitamins and minerals. This diet is planned in such a way that it can be followed easily by most people.
How does DASH diet plan work?
- DASH diet plan helps you get all the important nutrients like fiber, potassium, calcium and magnesium all these are very good to lower blood pressure. Since this diet emphasizes on eating more of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low salt and fat-free diary it may give you additional health benefits by reducing the risk of numerous dreadful diseases like heart disease, cancer, kidney stones, diabetes and heart failure.
- DASH diet does not encourage consumption of fatty foods, fat loaded dairy and highly sweetened foods. It believes in having a balanced diet, if followed sincerely can improve your health drastically, but should be followed for the long term.
- Switching to DASH diet does not mean giving up your regular diet and start all new diet plans. It’s just that you need to make a few small changes which are mostly easy to follow. For example DASH diet involves adding one fruit or vegetable to your regular meals. This diet also wants you to use fresh spices and herbs to add flavour to your foods as you are using less salt. Eat more whole grains and nuts instead of cookies or cakes or chips. Walking here and there after dinner can be very helpful to lose extra weight.
Here are few tips to follow DASH diet
- Whenever you have your meals at lunch or dinner or snack make sure to eat at least one fruit.
- Instead of burgers or chips or pizzas eat more nuts or dried fruits.
- Drink low fat or no fat milk. Cut down on butter or use low-fat dairy products.
- Try to include more beans for your food preparations.
- Make sure to add fresh vegetables to your salads or other food preparations.
- Whenever you buy food items, read the labels for sodium content, see to it that there is low sodium content in the food products you buy.
Conclusion – DASH diet is definitely an ideal choice for a healthy living. It is very easy to follow, but it may be a little expensive since there is stress on eating lots of quality fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and low-fat dairy. But if you want to stay healthy and reduce your risk for diseases then go for DASH diet.