Bad breath is also known as halitosis, it can occur due to poor oral hygiene or could indicate some underlying health problem.
Causes of bad breath
- Poor oral hygiene is the main culprit for bad breath, if you don’t brush properly and at least twice a day you may get bad breath.
- If you fail to floss regularly, some food particles may remain stuck in-between teeth and gums that promotes growth of bacteria that can cause bad breath. That’s why remember to floss your mouth every day.
- If you wear dentures and not clean it properly then this can also cause bad breath.
- Excessive smoking and chewing tobacco and not cleaning your mouth after indulging in these bad habits, will definitely lead to bad breath.
- Gum disease is one of the main cause of bad breath. This disease develops by build up of plaque and bacteria in your teeth which causes bad breath. It is very important to fix gum diseases problem, if left untreated it can cause severe damage to your teeth and gums.
- If you are suffering from cavities or yeast infection of the mouth it can cause bad breath.
- If your dentures are not fitted properly it can also cause bad breath.
- When your mouth does not produce enough saliva, it makes your mouth dry, this can also cause bad breath. You need saliva in your mouth to neutralize acids that are emitted by plaque and flush out the bacteria accumulated on the tongue, gums and cheeks. If they remain in the mouth it causes bad breath.
- Diseases and illnesses like bronchitis, chronic sinus, diabetes, chronic acid reflux can also cause bad breath. Make sure to fix your diseases for overall good heath and to get rid of bad breath.
Tips to prevent bad breath
- Brushing- develop a good dental care routine, brush your teeth twice a day, brushing will help keep your mouth clean and prevents cavities.
- Floss- flossing your teeth is necessary as it helps clean the surfaces between the teeth and gums and keeps your mouth fresh.
- Mouthwash- mouthwash prevents the bacteria from accumulating in your teeth , select a mouthwash that has fluoride in it. Brushing, flossing followed by mouth washing is a good oral hygiene.
- Tongue cleaning– often food particles get stuck on the tongue, that makes tongue sticky, which promotes bacterial growth. Try to keep your tongue clean by scrapping gently with the brush or use a tongue cleaner. After cleaning your tongue, rinse your mouth thoroughly.
- Quit smoking and chewing tobacco- smoking and chewing tobacco is very dangerous for your teeth and causes bad breath. So quit this habit.